Summer Scholars Program Details
- Applicants should have some biologically-related prior research experience.
- Although GPA will be a consideration, there are no formal GPA requirements.
- There are no specific major requirements. Students of any major may apply, provided they can demonstrate relevant experience to the project in question.
- As noted on the eligibility page, you must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate student to be eligible for the program. Dual undergrad/grad programs are acceptable, but students who already possess an undergraduate degree are not eligible to participate in the program. The only exception to this rule are students who have graduated during the 2018-2019 academic year (i.e. the summer following a December or May/June graduation).
- There are no restrictions to class standing. Freshman, sophomores, juniors, seniors, and fifth year seniors are all eligible to apply.
- The online application will be available on this website on December 3, 2018.
- Completed applications are due at NOON on Monday, February 4, 2019 (12 pm PST 2/4/19). Be sure to ask for your letter of recommendation well in advance to provide sufficient time for it to be submitted.
- Finalists will be contacted by April 1, 2019.
Start Date and Duration
- Most host institutions can accommodate any start date in May or June to accommodate both semester- and quarter-system students.
- The internship lasts between 10 and 12 weeks, depending on host institution.
- Students participating in the program need to locate their own housing. Advice can be provided by SRF and the host lab. A stipend will be provided to cover room and board costs.